Naming the moon

I've been told I have a love affair with the moon. And I believe it. Mars comes to its closest approach tonight, in less than an hour from now, and I'm asking my wife what she thinks the moon should be named. She suggests something Japanese.

Actually I did try to take a picture of Mars tonight, during a rare break in the clouds. Results unsatisfactory. More to come later.

In the meantime I've started a thread at the Bad Astronomy and Universe Today forums, asking for suggestions on naming the moon. I'd love to hear your opinion.

And do I have a name for the moon? None. Not yet.

A photograph I took on August 25th, probably the best I have:

Comments

beche-la-mer said…
Kevin, That's really nice, though upside down.

If we name the moon, oughtn't we to name the earth as well?
Kevin Rosero said…
Yes, and we should name the sun, too. In Spanish we already have la Tierra, la Luna, and el Sol; and I know every culture will always have its names for these things. But it would be interesting if the whole world could give input on the question of the official astronomical names.
Jennifer R. said…
Hi, I just ran across your blog by accident and thought I'd let you know how I enjoy it.

I'm a college student with a casual interest in astronomy, but I'm not a science major, so I'm not generally smart enough to intelligently comment, I don't think. :)

But as for naming the moon...I have always been a fan of the mythological names for various astronomical objects. (I'm a classics major, so it figures.) It would seem apropriate to me to name the moon Diana, since as a goddess she was so strongly identified with the moon. Whatever we name it, I think the name should embody the femininity and mystery that is archetypally associated with it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Googolplex

The Conjunction Project

Pleiades eclipsed